NEW RACE DATE – SEPT. 13, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic sweeping our nation, the Whidbey Island Marathon race date has been changed from April 19 to September 13, 2020. If you have already registered for the event, you should have received an email explaining your options. If you are ready to join us on September 13, click the “REGISTER NOW” button above and sign up for your race distance! We are excited to partner with Hydros For Heroes – Oak Harbor’s annual hydroplane boat race taking place on the waterfront right next to the finish line! There will be live music, food trucks, beer gardens, boat racing and more at this family friendly weekend packed full of fun in Downtown Oak Harbor!
REGISTRATION FEE SCHEDULE
|FULL MARATHON||HALF MARATHON||10K RUN/WALK||5K RUN/WALK||KIDS 1K RUN|
|AT RACE EXPO||$140||$115||$55||$45||$20|
|*All Active Military registrations will be required to show valid active military ID when pickup up packets to receive race discount.|
FAMILY REGISTRATION DISCOUNTS
NEW FOR 2020 – The Whidbey Island Marathon will be offering “Family Registration” to groups/families of 4 or more. How’s it work you ask? When registering, if a single person completes the registration process for 4 or more individuals (races don’t matter – For example, 4 marathon entries or 2 half marathon & 2 kids entries will receive the discount) your group (each entry) will be entitled to a 15% DISCOUNT PER ENTRY. After completing registrations for all entries, send us an email via our “contact us” page HERE with names of all participants you’ve registered together. We will apply a 15% refund to each entry. *Active Military registrations do not qualify for the 15% discount.
The Whidbey Island Marathon’s goal is to promote fitness and togetherness. Join us this year with your family!
STEPS TO RECEIVE YOUR 2020 FAMILY DISCOUNT
- Register 4 or more people at the same time during the same registration process. (must be done by the same person)*Events do not matter, multiple events are just fine
- Email us the names of all people you’ve registered together via the “Contact Us” page HERE
- We will refund 15% of each entry in your group or family (4 or more participants registered together)
- You’re set to #RunTheBridge at a discounted rate! Congrats 😁
PRE-RACE HEALTH & FITNESS EXPO
DATE: Saturday, September 12, 2020
TIME: 12:00pm – 7:00pm
LOCATION: Oak Harbor High School Cafeteria – (1 Wildcat Drive, Oak Harbor, WA 98277)
• Late Registration
• Packet Pickup + Expo
• Changing events? You can do this at the Expo
• The Expo is FREE and open to the public
There are expo booth spaces available, if you are interested in promoting your business or organization at the event expo, please visit the CONTACT US page.
EVENT SCHEDULE & INFORMATION
Saturday, September 12, 2020
Event – Expo
Packet Pickup + Expo
12:00pm – 7:00pm
12:00pm – 7:00pm
Oak Harbor HS Cafeteria
Oak Harbor HS Cafeteria
Sunday, September 13, 2020
Event – Expo
Full Marathon Run
Half Marathon Run/Walk
1K Kids Run
Finish Line Celebration
Start Line – Pass Lake*
*Full Marathon Run is a point-to-point race starting at Pass Lake and finishing at Windjammer Park with all other races in beautiful Downtown Oak Harbor.
Official Host Hotels of the Whidbey Island Marathon
Staying the night or multiple nights in Oak Harbor for the Whidbey Island Marathon? Look no further than staying at the Candlewood Suites or Auld Holland Inn, the host hotels of the Whidbey Island Marathon. Located about 3 miles from the finish line, these hotels are conveniently located near everything you need as a race participant.
– 10% off your entire stay – To Receive the “Whidbey Island Marathon” discount, please call the hotel directly at (360) 279-2222 and mention you’re visiting for the Whidbey Island Marathon to receive your discount!
– FREE shuttle to/from both start lines before your race (marathon or half) and home after you’ve finished the race!
– Complimentary guest laundry, fitness center, online convenience store and carefully thought out FREE snack bags for participants in the hotel lobby!
– 10% off your entire stay – Just book a room either online or by phone, upon check-in, mention you’re staying for the race and you’ll receive your discount
– Shuttle to/from both start lines before your race (Marathon or Half) and home from the finish line
– Early Breakfast provided to runners in the brand new breakfast area with added specialty breakfast items for runners
– Late check-out for all participants along with a complimentary “supplies” backpack provided to each participant!
To make reservations before the Auld Holland Inn fills, please call at (360) 675-2288 or make reservations online at www.auld.holland.com
Full Marathon Run Participants: All full marathon participants are encouraged to use our free shuttle service to the start of the marathon. There is NO parking at Pass Lake during the race, nor will there be return service to the start line.
Shuttle Option 1) All participants will have the option to park near the finish line at Bayshore Dr. Waterfront. From there, participants will be able to catch marathon start shuttles.
Shuttle Option 2) If you are an out of town guest staying in Oak Harbor at The Auld Holland Inn, The Coachman Inn, Best Western Plus or Candlewood Suites, our shuttles will pick you up from your hotel and bring you to the marathon start line as well as return you to your hotel after your race is completed.
Shuttle Pickup Times:
Marathon Departure Time/Location (Please plan on 25 minutes to arrive at the marathon start line)
From Area Hotels (Coachman Inn, Best Western & Candlewood Suites, Auld Holland Inn) 5:40am or 6:20am
From Windjammer Park Parking Lot (Finish Line): 5:45am, 5:55am, 6:00am, 6:05am, 6:10am, 6:15am, 6:20am
Half Marathon – Shuttles will run continuous loops from the same hotels starting at 7:10am with the last shuttle at 8:00am for the half marathon start line
Return Shuttles – Shuttles will run from the event finish line to area hotels continuously throughout the day until 1:00pm
There will be ample street parking available near Windjammer Park as well as limited parking at Windjammer Park. Paved parking will be available at the Haggen Grocery Store parking lot as well as the open field next to the Hwy 20 7-Eleven Convenience Store (Address: 31300 WA-20)
*If you are an out of town guest staying at one of the area hotels (Coachman Inn, Best Western Plus, Candlewood Suites or Auld Holland Inn), you will have the option to take a shuttle from your hotel to the start/finish line. After your race, shuttles will return you to your hotel.
See above for shuttle departure times from various locations.
SHUTTLE/EVENT PARKING MAP AVAILABLE SOON
NEW COURSES FOR 2020! Returning to Windjammer Park!
We are excited to announce we will once again call Windjammer Park home for the 2020 Marathon! For the past 3 years, Windjammer Park has been closed while experiencing a beautiful makeover. The city has been hard at work adding new running paths, green space, playgrounds, basketball courts and a splash park for kids! This year, Windjammer Park will once again play host to the event’s festivities including the start line for all races (except the marathon) and will act as the finish line and finish festivities after the race! We will feature live music, kids play areas and of course the gorgeous waterfront backdrop at the finish line!
THIS IS NOT A CLOSED COURSE, PLEASE BE AWARE. The courses will be coned, flagged and marked for your protection. We will have course monitors, certified flaggers, and police stationed throughout the course, but please be aware of all traffic. We will have motorcycles as well as HAM Radio Operators monitoring the course and basic first aid needs available at all water stations. Water stations and porta-potties will be located every 1 1/2 – 2 miles on the course (Half & Full Courses). There will also be electrolyte replacement drinks at every other water station as well as energy gels in the full marathon and half marathon throughout the course. All participants will be chip timed.
2020 FULL MARATHON DESCRIPTION – The Whidbey Island Marathon will once again start at Pass Lake, north of the Deception Pass Bridge. Marathoners will wind their way south from Pass Lake, across the Deception Pass Bridge. The Whidbey Island Marathon will once again be the only race that closes the bridge for runners! Once clear of the bridge, runners will wind through tranquil farmland meandering towards Oak Harbor. 2020 Marathon changes start near mile 12 where marathoners will run a loop through the Silver Lake area before passing by the US Navy Seaplane Base and entering the City of Oak Harbor. From here, the race features a downhill run towards the finish line. Runners will cruise along the waterfront as they enter Windjammer Park, running along the promenade before reaching the finish line!
2020 HALF MARATHON DESCRIPTION – The half marathon will feature a new start/finish line this year. With the completion of the Windjammer Park remodel, the half marathon will start along the water at Windjammer Park. After leaving the park, participants will wind their way through Oak Harbor’s historic downtown area and along the waterfront before running west through the Marsh Trail to Scenic Heights. At this point, runners will complete an out/back through Scenic Heights and Penn Cove (this section is very similar to years past). After exiting Scenic Heights, heading towards the finish line, runners will complete their half marathon experience along the Windjammer Park Promenade before finishing in the newly remodeled park to cheering spectators and live music!
2020 10K & 5K RUN/WALK DESCRIPTION – The 10K and 5K routes will once again follow the half marathon course, starting and finishing at the newly remodeled Windjammer Park. Once exiting, they too will wind through Oak Harbor’s historic downtown area and along the waterfront. They will also run west through the Marsh Trail to the Scenic Heights neighborhood. Shortly after, the 5K course will turn around, heading towards the finish line as the 10K continues along the half marathon path. After the 10K turnaround, both races will join together again, heading towards the finish line back through the Marsh Trail and on the Windjammer Park Promenade before finishing at the newly remodeled Windjammer Park on the Oak Harbor Waterfront!
Race Time Limit
The full marathon has a 6 hour course time limit and the half marathon has a 4:30 time limit. If you are unable to make certain check points by the time needed to meet the six-hour limit, we will pick you up and move you forward to the next check point, and average your current pace time accordingly to add to your overall finish time. Please allow us to do this as we have to meet road closure opening times.
For information about the local area, please visit the following websites:
Whidbey & Camano Islands (includes lodging information)
Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce
WhidbeyIsland.us (includes lodging and restaurant information)
Whidbey Island is approximately 95 miles north of Seattle. From Everett, it is approximately 1-hour driving time to Oak Harbor.
NOTICE: Sunday, September 13 – the Deception Pass Bridge will close at 6:45 am for the 7:00 am start of the Full. The bridge will reopen to traffic at approximately 7:50 am and will follow the runners until the marathon participants turn off Hwy 20 at Ducken. Northbound traffic will not reopen until all participants have exited the highway. Please plan accordingly.
• From Canada and points North – Take I-5 to the Anacortes exit. Proceed West on Highway 20 and follow signs to Oak Harbor.
• From Seattle and points South – Take I-5 North. You then have the option of taking the Mukilteo ferry (every half hour) across to Whidbey Island and driving up to Oak Harbor (45-minutes) or continue North to the Anacortes exit. Proceed West on Highway 20 and follow the signs to Oak Harbor. BE SURE TO CROSS DECEPTION PASS BRIDGE BY 6:45 AM ON SUNDAY, to ensure you make it to the start of your event on time.
• Save Gas and Carpool – The Whidbey Island Marathon encourages participants to carpool to Whidbey Island for the event. Go to www.rideshareonline.com and create a posting if you have space in your car or see who might be able to give you a ride.
• Whidbey-SeaTac Shuttle – Provides the only fast, direct, and daily transportation service between all communities on Whidbey Island and Sea-Tac International Airport.
• Washington State Ferries – Check the ferry schedule prior to race day. As of this posting, the first ferry of the day will not get you to the island and allow sufficient travel time to reach the full marathon starting line prior to the start of the race. CHECK THE SCHEDULE! They change with the season.
• Island County Transit System – Check out Island Transit for all of your transportation needs while staying on Whidbey Island. Please note, there is no scheduled service on Sundays.
The average weather on Whidbey Island is slightly overcast to sunny on race day, with temperatures ranging on average from 51 degrees (low) to 66 degrees (high)
- Commemorative Participant Top (differs per race)
- FREE downloadable participant photos
- Finisher medals for all events
- Customized Bib
Clothing Check area will be located near the start line of each event. Marathon participant checked clothes will be transported from the start line to the finish line. We will not provide bags so please bring your own as long as your bib number is placed on the outside of the bag. Under no circumstances should you place valuables in your bag. Finishers may claim their bag near the finish line. Whidbey Island Marathon officials and volunteers are not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen checked items.
Lost and Found
Any items found on the course will be brought to Clothing Check. Please see a clothing check volunteer if you have lost or found an item. All lost and found clothing not claimed at the end of race day will be donated to charity.
Water Stations will be located every 1.5 miles to 2 miles apart. Electrolyte replacement drinks will be at every other station and energy gels at various stations. There will be basic medical supplies at each station including, but not limited to bandages, antiseptic creams, Vaseline for chaffing and heat blankets. Porta Potties will be located at each water station.
Top three male & female in the marathon and half marathon distances will receive the following.
$300 & Free entry to the following year’s race
$200 & Free entry to the following year’s race
$200 & Free entry to the following year’s race
$100 & Free entry to the following year’s race
Free entry to the following year’s race
Free entry to the following year’s race
Finisher results will be posted throughout the day near the event stage and available online immediately following the conclusion of the races.